Tuesday 28 April 2009

Barbara Hulanicki for Topshop: Verdict


I had my breath held in anticipation as I tottered through Topshop's doors at 9.45 am this morning (in Primark's fringed boots, love them!)...the day had finally come for style genius Barbara Hulanicki to launch her vintage inspired capsule collection for the high street store. 

Perhaps my expectations were too high. What did I expect?...A kaleidoscopic vision of the sixties?...Retro lights? Paul McCartney strumming on his guitar?... Did I picture myself wrestling Marianne Faithful for the the last printed silk scarf??

The reality was, er, less inspired. Where was it? I peered into each corner of the store...'Oh!'...Finally, I noticed a modest (and a little sad) looking stand to my left. I scurried over, frantically (I have no idea why, I had no competition...perhaps Marianne had opted for the flagship branch?) looking for the dress I'd had my eye on in the online preview.

I found it. Well, it didn't look quite the same. I presumed it was chiffon, but it was cotton, the fabric didn't drape, it stuck out awkwardly. Anyway, I grabbed it (along with a tight little blue number) and ran to the changing rooms (I kept up the pace...'the crowds could arrive at any minute', I thought...In retrospect, I'm not sure the manager even knew what it was).

It didn't look good...Actually, that's an understatement, it looked awful. I was falling out of the top half (and trust me, that's a hard feat) and the fabric stuck out at my hips. 'It might have looked OK on Twiggy's skinnier cousin', I thought. I quickly threw it off and tried on the tight little blue number. Not so bad...at all, but I couldn't help feeling that I looked like an extra from The Flintstones Movie (remember that?). 

Disaster No. 1

I had another peruse...maybe there was something I had missed? Nothing stood out...a few naive prints and a couple of flimsy looking chiffon skirts....Where was the sparkle? The opulence? The 'Great Gatsby' inspired glamour? Come on Barb, show us the feather boas!

I decided to give up on my sixties dream and went to console myself amidst the handbags...I found a gorgeous quilted number.

Barbara Hulanicki for Topshop...An ode to Biba? Or another way to line Philip Green's pockets?...My bet's on the latter


Disaster No. 2

1 comment: